Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Apples!


A family at church gave us a big box of apples a while back. Slowly we've been eating them and using them for cooking/baking, but it was time to take care of the rest before they went bad. Yesterday I set out to the task and here's what I ended up with.


I peeled, cored, cut, boiled, strained, mashed...you name it! We've got 2 jars of apple juice, 2 jars of apple sauce, 5 bags of apples cut up and ready for pies or crisps, 4 mini jar pies plus one jar crisp & apple fruit snacks. Phew!

Unfortunately the fruit snacks didn't turn out. They didn't have any flavor (the recipe calls for juice concentrate) and the consistancy was kinda weird. I want to give it another try though. If they turn out I'll let you know and share the recipe!

I'm excited to try the jar pies. I got the idea from HERE and have been wanting to try it for a while, so this was the perfect opportunity. I used THIS recipe for the filling and topping [minus the oats because we were out. :( ]. Now they're just sitting in the freezer waiting to be eaten. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay for you and for CANNING! I've got to do some myself very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I can say I 'canned'. ;) I just put them in jars and then the refrigerator because I knew they wouldn't take long to be eaten/drank. I do want to do some real canning though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo for fresh, fresh produce!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...