Friday, July 10, 2009

Rhubarb Crisp

I used to turn my nose up at the thought of rhubarb, but I've been recently turned on to it. Last year we were introduced to some rhubarb cookies that are delicious!
About a week ago, someone brought some rhubarb to church, so I snagged some in hopes of making cookies...but I found this recipe and wanted to give it a try. (I added strawberries to the rhubarb.) Mmm...it was yummy!

Ingredients:
2 pounds rhubarb, sliced crosswise 3/4 inch thick
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, combine the rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup flour; set aside.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine remaining 1/2 cup flour and the butter. Pulse until the butter pieces are pea-size. Add brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon. Pulse to combine. Sprinkle over rhubarb.

Bake until rhubarb is tender and topping is golden, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Rhubarb & Strawberries, yummy!!! It really is only good if it's baked inside something though. Otherwise it can be bitter. It makes good jam too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop it you're making me home sick ;-) Man O man Rhubarb would hit the spot right about now. I didn't have a clue about Rhubarb till Kate made me some cookies last year. Yum Yum

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...