Friday, November 11, 2011

Natural/Homemade

I'm not completely into the whole natural/homemade kick, but I like it when it works and makes sense. I thought I'd share some things that I've found to work well for me...some purchased, some homemade.

Black Soap is currently my favorite face wash. It's cheap and it works. Can't get any better than that!

Dr. Woods Shea Vision Pure Black Soap with Organic Shea Butter

I'm really bad about washing my face at night. So after seeing these homemade face wipes on Pinterest, I thought I'd give it a shot. The first batch I made I put coconut oil and black soap in the water, but I found that the soap made them smell really weird. I was getting into the habit of washing my face every night (yay!) and was really liking them (aside from the smell), but then I noticed that they started molding which was not good. I had read that people put tea tree oil in the water to prevent molding so I made a new batch with coconut oil and tea tree oil. I'm ashamed to say I've only used it once since then, and I NEED to get back to forming this habit...starting tonight! I know I'll be thankful when I do because it can't be good to sleep with makeup on my face. 


We've all heard about how women's deodorant has unhealthy chemicals in them. Rather than purchasing men's deodorant :) I thought I'd try doing a natural deodorant, both for the purpose of the chemicals and just the interest in going 'natural'. Probably a year ago I tried wiping my underarms with apple cider vinegar and then powdering them with a baking soda/cornstarch mixture. Things I read said that your body has to go through a detox period (a few weeks) before you start seeing positive results, but even then I was not happy with it. I gave up and went back to store-bought deodorant. This summer/fall I looked at natural deodorants at our health food store, but they're $6 and up! Call me cheap, but I wasn't about to pay that much. Then I saw a homemade deodorant on Pinterest that you could put into an old deodorant stick. So after I ran out of my deodorant, I cleaned out the container and made the homemade deodorant. It's a baking soda/cornstarch mixture with coconut oil and tea tree oil. I've been using it for a month now and am very happy with it! For anyone who might want to try it I have one piece of advice for you: put it on before you get dressed. If you put it on after getting dressed the oil doesn't get worked into your skin as well, and you may get it on your shirt and look like you have been sweating...not cool! I speak from experience. Haha.

Pinned Image

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...