Monday, February 8, 2010

Boost

When we have ministries that we do on a regular basis, sometimes they can get tiring. Majority of the time I enjoy going to the jail, but there are times I don't feel like going.  It's during those times that the Lord gives me that 'boost' to get me all excited about it again.  Sunday was one of those days. 

We have Bibles in the jail for the inmates to use, but there are times when they want their own personal Bible. We have no problem giving them one, but before I do I want them to show me it's important to them by having them memorize and quote 2 Timothy 3:16 (All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:).  It's been about a month or so since I've had anyone interested in having their own Bible, and there's only one lady in there right now that even knew about my requirement. 

I went in on Sunday afternoon and sat down with the ladies and one of them grins and says, "I have something to tell you."  "Okay," I reply, and then she quotes 2 Timothy 3:16. I told her of my surprise and excitement and then the next lady says, "I have something to tell you."  "Okay," I reply, and then she quotes 2 Timothy 3:16.  Again, I was excited for the effort she put into memorizing God's Word, and then another lady says, "I have something to tell you."  Now I was catching on. :-)  All 5 of them memorized that verse because they wanted a Bible of their very own!  Needless to say, I was thrilled!!  

But wait!!  There's more!!

Before coming to Bible study, one of the ladies had only been to church maybe once or twice and had never had a Bible before.  She wouldn't even touch a Bible.  A couple of weeks ago, she touched one and then proceeded to wipe her hands off on her pants.  You can imagine my surprise and confusion at this.  After questioning her, it turns out she felt unworthy to touch a Bible because she's not saved.  I highly discouraged this mindset.  I explained to her that God gave us His Word so we can learn about Him and what Christianity is all about.  How was she ever supposed to learn about Christ and what He did for us if she never read His Word?  Going to church/Bible study is important, but it's also important that we study God's Word in our own private time.  Obviously the Lord worked on her heart about it because she was the first to quote 2 Timothy 3:16 and is so excited to have her very first Bible!  While other ladies were requesting large print Bibles or ones that have the words of Christ in red, she said she didn't care what she got...she was wanted one.  Praise God!!!  God is so good!!  He's definitely working and moving in the hearts and lives of those ladies.  My prayer is that they allow Him to continue to and that one day (hopefully soon) they'll receive Him into their lives as their personal Lord and Saviour! 

So, that was my boost.  Kinda like a shot in the arm.  It's like God said, "Don't give up. Just keep on keepin' on." 

Galatians 6:9 ~ "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

3 comments:

  1. That is such an encouragement! Praise the Lord for using you to be able to be a blessing and encouragement to the ladies there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that testimony:) I feel the same way sometimes in SS when it doesn't seem like the girls are getting the message and then they do something that lets me know that they are and it renews my spirit. I'm happy that you got to have that experience. God is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...